Friday, September 24, 2004
Just A Standard Reminder
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
I am especially intruiged by the integration of having the Caller ID pop up on your desk and allowing you to manage the call from your home desktop computer real-time, as your home phone is ringing. Expensive office switchboard phones allowed you to do that, but the 12 button keypad UI on the home phone did not. Now here it is.
I predict this will be really really useful for people who work at home, but I do not see it taking off as a must-have, even for 'early adopters'. Not at 8 bucks a month.
Sunday, September 19, 2004
Well, He Did Ask What I Thought
To: My Hotjobs Account----------
Subject: searching for a Applications Developer: Concord, MA
I thought that I would let you know that I am working on the following search that could be of interest to you or someone you know. Have a look at the description below and let me know what you think. If you are interested, please send me your latest resume and I will call you to discuss further, otherwise please feel free to pass it on to others.
Our client is an enterprise software company dedicated to helping companies, which spend tens of millions to billions of dollars per year on marketing, leverage these investments to measurably improve revenue and profits. Their product, a Marketing Resource Management system, automatically links results across sales channels back to the marketing investments that drove them, so you’ll know quickly what’s working, what’s not, and what will work better, across all media, all channels, and all segments.
Due to plans for aggressive growth, we need to hire the following professional. This is a great place in which to work. They value teams, support individual efforts and reward success.
Applications Developer : $ commensurate w/ exp.
- To perform the overall application installation and configuration activities in support of the product to our customers
- Install and configure the software and supporting technologies such as application servers and database connectivity software
- Develop reports, templates, folders, and other end-user functionality used in support of business reporting, marketing analytics, and decision support
- Configure software metadata to leverage data and statistical models in data warehouse; provide data to statisticians for modeling purposes
- Design and develop algorithms used in support of the business analysis requirements
- Set up end-user access and controls
- Provide technical expertise (or perspective) in analyzing business needs and objectives
- Assist in the analysis of data sources that will ultimately be loaded into the product
- Assist in the creation of the logical data model
- Perform all necessary quality assurance and testing
- Provide technical training to customers’ IT staff, author technical documentation, provide feedback to product engineering/product marketing teams and help create best practices for professional services.
Experience and Skill Set
- Very strong working knowledge of applying statistical /analytical outputs via a software framework
- Very strong working knowledge of XML
- Very strong working knowledge of database management systems (i.e. Oracle, SQL Server), Windows 2000/NT/XP OS, Unix (Sun, HP, IBM), and/or Linux
- Very strong SQL and database-specific stored procedure skills required.
- Outstanding data analysis skills required.
- BA/BS or advanced degree in CS or IS or other relevant discipline desired
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work directly and effectively with technical and business clients on projects.- Other desired skills and competencies include:o Analytical, team oriented, problem solver, organized, flexible, good follow-through ability, ability to prioritize, multi-task oriented, able to work independentlyPluses include:
- Systems integration experience with business intelligence software, knowledge of SAS, SPSS, or other statistical tools, familiarity with modeling techniques such as time series linear regression and experience designing and programming mathematical algorithms used in business intelligence applications
- Experience in syndicated marketing data sources such as ACNielsen, IRI, CMR, POLK, JD Power, and Donovan as well as experience in Automotive, CPG, Financial Services, Retail, and Pharmaceutical industry.
Subject: Re: searching for a Applications Developer: Concord, MA
and let me know what you think.
Well, since you asked...
You want someone to do installation, configuration, customization,
business-analysis, consulting, QA, and training. You want
executive-staff level business insight and script-monkey coding skills.
In other words, this is another job description for a semi-startup too
cheap to pay for a well-rounded team to get the job done properly, and
instead is trying to find the one-off wizard who will work late nights
and do it all.
If I got it wrong that is not the case, you need to rewrite the ad,
because that is what your copy communicates to me. If I got it right and
that actually is the case, my answer is No Thanks, and that there's no
way I will pass an 'opportunity' like that on to any of my colleagues I
hold in any esteem, as an ill-defined situation like described is a recipe
to become a scape-goat when an installation goes south because of the
But hey, thanks for asking. Especially since my resume doesn't
mention any of the skills in the first place besides the ubiquitous 'XML'.